On 26-27 February 2019, Magdi Birtha participated as an expert and moderator in the WHO regional workshop in Moscow, Russian Federation. Policy experts and representatives of 32 countries of the WHO European region reviewed the current status of implementation of European and global strategies on ageing and health and discussed policy innovations as well as promising practices in the context of rapidly ageing populations in Europe.
The meeting was a timely opportunity:
- To review progress in countries with policies that address the health and social care needs of ageing populations and the opportunities of growing longevity;
- To discuss innovations that are needed to achieve Universal Health Coverage for older people;
- To present new WHO tools and recent policy guidance and to identify remaining gaps;
- To consider how to close gaps in evidence and improve monitoring systems to trace progress at national and international level;
- To discuss how to strengthen international cooperation in Europe and explore synergies between initiatives;
- and to consult with participants how to move forward with a “Decade of action on healthy ageing.