Mobilising the Potential of Active Ageing in Europe (MOPACT)
International Expert Meeting on "Monitoring Long-Term Care for the Elderly"
Head of Health and Care Programme, Deputy Director
Research fellow and Social Policy Analyst at the European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research (2008-2013)
Economist at the Cabinet for Strategy and Planning at the Portuguese Ministry of Labour and Social Solidarity (2001-2008)
PhD in Social Policy, University of York, Dept. Social Policy and Social Work (supervisors Prof. Caroline Glendinning and Prof. Richard Cookson)
Master in Economics, Technical University of Lisbon
B.A. in Economics, Technical University of Lisbon
Portuguese (mother tongue), English, French and Spanish.
European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research, Berggasse 17, A-1090 Wien
Tel: +43-1-319 45 05-35
Fax: +43-1-319 45 05-19
- Quasi-markets and user choice in health and long-term care
- Equity and access to health and long-term care services
- Quality in long-term care
- Health economics
- Financing long-term care and social protection systems
Articles and book chapters
- "Participation in formal learning activities of older Europeans in poor and good health", European Journal of Ageing, 2016, 13: 115. doi:10.1007/s10433-016-0371-6 (with Golinowska, S., Sowa, A., Deeg, D., Socci, M., Principi, A., Rodrigues, R., Ilinca, S. and Galenkamp, H.)
- "Predictors of religious participation of older Europeans in good and poor health", European Journal of Ageing (Open Access): 1-13 (with Sowa, A., Golinowska, S., Deeg, D., Principi, A., Casanova, G., Schulmann, K., Ilinca, S., Rodrigues, R., Moreira, A., Gelenkamp, H., )
- "Fit for caring: factors associated with informal care provision by older caregivers with and without multi morbidity", European Journal of Ageing (First online: 23 April 2016): 1-11 (with Schmidt, A.E., Ilinca, S., Schulmann, K., Rodrigues, R., Principi, A., Barbabella, F., Sowa, A., Golinowska, S., Deeg, D. et al.)
- “Lessons for regulating informal markets and implications for quality assurance – the case of migrant care workers in Austria”, in: Ageing & Society 2016 (Early view) DOI (with Schmidt, A.E., Winkelmann, J. and Leichsenring, K.)
- "Choice, Competition and Care – Developments in English Social Care and the Impacts on Providers and Older Users of Home Care Services", in Social Policy & Administration, 49(5), 2015, 649-664 (Early View) (with Caroline Glendinning)
- “Performance Measurement in Long-term Care in Austria”, In V. Mor, T. Leone, and A. Maresso (eds.) Regulating Long Term Care Quality: An International Comparison. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2014 (with Leichsenring, K., Hoffmann, F., Schmidt, A. and Ruppe, G.).
- “The public gets what the public wants: Mapping public reporting in Europe”, In Health Policy, 116(1), 2014, 84-94, (with K. Leichsenring, A. Schmidt and L. Trigg).
- “Joint working between health and social care”, In: Leichsenring, K., Billings, J. and H. Nies (eds.) Long-term care in Europe - Improving policy and practice. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke. (2013) (with K. Allen and J. Glasby).
- “Making sense of differences – the mixed economy of funding and delivering long-term care”, In: Leichsenring, K., Billings, J. and H. Nies (eds.) Long-term care in Europe - Improving policy and practice. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke. (2013) (with H. Nies).
- Facts and Figures on Healthy Ageing and Long-term Care – Europe and North America, European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research, Vienna, (2012) (book edited with M. Huber and G. Lamura).
- "Policies to Support Carers", In: Almudena, M (eds.). Family Wellbeing – European Perspectives. Springer: New York, 2012 (with F. Hoffmann and M. Huber).
- “Long-term Care: An International Perspective”, In: Milne, A. and Dening, T. (eds.). Mental Health and Care Homes. Oxford University Press: Oxford, 2011 (with F. Hoffmann).
- “Expenditures for Long-Term Care - At the Crossroads Between Family and State”, GeroPsych, The Journal of Gerontopsychology and Geriatric Psychiatry, 23 (4), 2010, 183-93 (with A. Schmidt).
- Facts and Figures on Long-term Care – Europe and North America, European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research, Vienna, 2009 (book with M. Huber, F. Hoffmann, K. Gasior and B. Marin).
- "Employment of older workers" - Research Note 5/2015 for the EU Social Situation Monitor (2015) (with Őzdemir, E., Ward, T., Fuchs, M., Ilinca, S., Lelkes, O. and Zolyomi, E.)
- "Integrated Care, Choice and Competition - Challenges and strategies of care coordination in the context of market-oriented governance in Germany and Sweden", 2015, Report commissioned by the Swedish Ministry of Health and Social Affairs (with Leichsenring, K. Winkelmann, J. and Falk, R.)
- "Scoping study on communication to address and prevent chronic diseases: Final Report", 2015, DG SANTE, (with Ilinca, S. Schulmann, K., et al)
- "State of the art on ICT-enabled social innovation in prevention, health promotion and rehabilitation", Report to the European Commission's Joint Research Centre, Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (2015) (with Ilinca, S and Schulmann, K.)
- "From care in homes to care at home: European experiences with (de)institutionalisation in long-term care", Policy Brief of the European Centre, December 2015 (with K. Leichsenring and Ilinca, S.).
- "Analysing equity in the use of long-term care in Europe", Research Note 9/2014 for the EU Social Situation Monitor (2015) (with Ilinca, S and Schmidt, A.)
- “To Make or to Buy Long-term Care? Part III: Quality Assurance to Avoid Market Failure”, Policy Brief of the European Centre, October 2014 (with K. Leichsenring and J. Winkelmann).
- "Discussion Paper on The Problem of Sustainable Financing of Long-term Care", EU-Peer Review Process, Slovenia.
- “Public Reporting in health and long-term care to facilitate provider choice”, European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, Policy Summary no. 13. Copenhagen: WHO Europe (with S. Kumpunen and L. Trigg).
- “To Make or to Buy Long-term Care? Part II: Lessons from Quasi-markets in Europe”, Policy Brief of the European Centre, October 2014 (with K. Leichsenring and J. Winkelmann).
- “To Make or to Buy Long-term Care? Part I: Learning from Theory”, Policy Brief of the European Centre, September 2014 (with K. Leichsenring and J. Winkelmann).
- "The ‘Make or Buy’ Decision in Long-term Care: Lessons for Policy", Report commissioned by the Swedish Ministry of Health and Social Affairs (with Leichsenring, K. and Winkelmann, J.)
- "Impact of the crisis on access to healthcare services: Country report for Portugal", Research Report for the Eurofound (with K. Schulmann).
- “The indirect costs of long-term care”, Research Note 8/2013 for the EU Social Situation Monitor, 2013 (with K. Schulmann, A. Schmidt, N. Kalavrezou and M. Matsaganis).
- “The impact of the financial crisis on unmet needs for healthcare”, Research Note 7/2013 for the EU Social Situation Monitor, 2013 (with E. Zólyomi, N. Kalavrezou and M. Matsaganis).
- “Quality management by result-oriented indicators: Towards benchmarking in residential care for older people”, Policy Brief of the European Centre, June 2011 (with F. Hoffmann, K. Leichsenring, et al).
- “Contracting for Quality”, Report for the European Social Network (with K. Leichsenring and S. Barnett),
- “Paying for Long-term Care”, Policy Brief of the European Centre, September 2010 (with A. Schmidt).
- “Informal Carers: Who Takes Care of Them?”, Policy Brief of the European Centre, April 2010 (with F. Hoffmann).
- “Who Cares? Care Coordination and Cooperation to Enhance Quality in Elderly Care in the European Union”, Discussion paper presented at the EU Swedish Presidency Conference on Healthy and Dignified Ageing, Stockholm, 15-16 September, 2009 (with B. Marin, K. Leichsenring and M. Huber)